Tuesday 15 May 2018

2 BY DANIEL WOODRELL

A couple from Daniel Woodrell this week and a pair from his Rene Shade trilogy. The Ones You Do concludes the series.



Woodrell has written ten books in total with The Maid's Version his last published novel in 2013. It's about time he had something new out, I reckon.

There's no author website, but here's a link to an interview with The Independent he gave in 2006.

I've read a few from him, probably these two included, though so long ago they probably don't count. The last time I kind of crossed paths with his work was watching the film Winter's Bone starring Jennifer Lawrence which was based on his 2006 novel.



Under The bright Lights (1986)

Jewel Cobb had come to St.Bruno to climb on the big city gravy train. His cousin Duncan set little Jewel up to do the killing. The boy was hillbilly raw but country rough, and pleasingly expendable.

It seemed a simple enough case for the authorities. Too bad the dead man was a prominent black city council man. But for the police detective Rene Shade it all looked too neat. Shade takes on city hall as he follows a twisting trail through the sleazy streets of the Cajun quarter into the murky swamps and bayous that ring the city. It is a trail that leads to corruption and yet more murder.








Muscle For The Wing (1988)

The first thing Emil Jaddick shoved through the country-club door was double barreled and loaded. The First thing he said to the poker players inside was - "Do I have your attention? We're robbin' you assholes ... any objections?" That's how Jadick came to St.Bruno. He had a killing crew of fellow ex-con wingmen and a sweet and red-hot sex machine named Wanda to help him do his down and dirty work. He had big plans and no pity. Only one thing could stop him - a cop who played by the same rules as Jadick ... None!

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you featured Woodrell today, Col. I've been meaning to read his work, and really need to do that. He's one of those authors whose writing I know about, but I don't know, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, I reckon you would enjoy his work. Moira read and enjoyed The Maid's Version from him a few years ago, but dip in anywhere and you won't regret it.

      Delete
  2. I really like Woe to Live On by Woodrell, a violent Civil War tale. The first person narration is truly a work of art. The film adaption (Ride With the Devil) on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that one years ago but can't recall too much about it. I shan't seek out the film thanks!

      Delete
  3. I've gotta confess that, while I adored the movie adaptation of Winter's Bone, I struggled with the novel itself, and that left me little inclined to try more of Woodrell's work. I do realize I'm in the minority there, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only watched the film so far. One of these two or might suit you better, but maybe a case of once bitten twice shy.

      Delete
  4. I loved his The Maid's Version, one of my top books in that year, so I really should read more by him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He might be an author where our tastes collide. I think you should try more by him.

      Delete
  5. Col – I’ve enjoyed Woodrell’s earlier works – TOMATO RED and GIVE US A KISS – and have been meaning to get back to his later books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've read those two yet.

      Delete